Mastin Family Tree

Frank Ernest Mastin of Sheffield

(Born at Sheffield on 29th January 1888. Died at Darley Dale 2nd March 1950.)


Frank Ernest Mastin of Sheffield
Frank Ernest Mastin of Sheffield
Frank Ernest Mastin was born at 197, Fitzwilliam Street, Ecclesall Bierlow, Sheffield in 1888, the youngest son of Joseph Mastin of Sheffield, and Jane Wragg. He was born at 15, Cavendish Street, Sheffield, which was at that time the family home and workplace.

We have some idea of his education from book prizes and photographs. He was attending Springfield Boys School in December 1888 when he received a book prize for punctual attendance. M. Bramston calls the book "The Thorn Fortress", a tale of the Thirty Years War. Heavy reading I would have thought for an eight year old.

In 1892, he had moved to St. Matthias Boys School, Sheffield. We have a photograph of a class at the school but I do not know which is Frank Ernest. I have a book prize awarded in 1892 the following is the inscription which is hand written in on the flyleaf:

"St. Mattiasí Boys School, Sheffield.
First prize awarded to Frank E. Mastin
For Long Dive performed in the competition held Sept. 13th at the close of the swimming exercises during the summer of 1892.
Jno. Ibbotson. Headmaster"
The book is ďThe Pioneer Boy and How he became President - The story of the life of Abraham Lincoln" by W.M. Thayer. This book is in reasonable condition.

At the age of 14 he joined The British Temperance League, I have his Pledge Cheque with his name and the Cavendish Street address it dated 23/94 I donít know if this is 2nd March or the 23rd of an unknown month, J. Rodgers witnesses it. I have no idea if he kept this up all his life.

Of Interest
List of plumbing items and prices from approximately 1901, taken from a hand-written notebook of Frank Ernest Mastin:
Mica Chimneys
ľd each
7Ĺd each
1/2" Balltaps
6/= each
3/8" Compo
6d per yard
1/4" Compo
4d per yard
1/2" Imp Pipe
3d per foot
3/8" Imp Pipe
2d per foot
1/2" Elbows
2d each
3/8" Elbows
5d each
1/2" Tee
5d each
1/2" to 1/4" Tee
6d each
1/2" Plug
3d each
1/2" Longscrews
7d each
3/8" Bend
5d each
3/8" Tee
4d each
1/2" Nipple
2d each
1/2" to 3/8" Socket
4d each
3/8" x 1/4" U Brackets
7/6 each
3/8" U Swivel
1/6 each
3/8" x 1/4" U Swivel
2/= each
3/8" Front Knee
1/= each
1/4" Front Knee
9d each
1/2" Syphon Tap
3/= each
4" Fall Pipe
2/= per yard
3" Fall Pipe
1/6 per yard
Copper Bowl
6/= each
2" Flue Pipe
1/3 per yard
2" Lead Sockets
1/6 each
EWS Trap
2/6 each
1/2" Bib Tap
3/= each
1d each
3" x 1/8" Bend
2/= each
1ľ" Pipe
2/6 per yard
2" RWP
1/3 per yard
2Ĺ" RWP 1/4 per yard

After leaving school I would assume he worked for his father. I have a hand written invoice headed "Joseph Mastin, Cavendish Street, Dr. to F. Mastin Plumber for plumbing work i.e. repairing ball tap time half an hour the charge is 1Ĺ pence. Signed, received with thanks, May 16th 1896, F. Mastin". We know he must have completed an apprenticeship as a plumber as he was elected to "The Worshipful Company of Plumbers" on the 3rd of May 1904. I have the original document, which is in a poor condition; I have made copies as best I can. The original is in the main still readable.

At some time, I assume after his fatherís death, he went into partnership with his brother Arthur as owners of Joseph Mastin & Son. Why the business came to these two when there were two older brothers Joseph and Charles, we do not know. We believe that the two elder brothers worked for their father at some time; what happened to make them leave, we have no idea. We have no documentation for the start of the partnership, but have letters for the dissolution from Arthur on company notepaper notebook draft from Frank to Arthur and one from Wake and Son solicitors to Frank. The originals and copies attached. The partnership was dissolved in July 1909 due to the poor health of Frank at this time Arthur was not well and he died in1910. What the illness was we do not know.

When Frank started to be unwell is not clear, but it must have reached quite a severe condition to cause the break up of the business. Did Arthur have the same problem? All I know is that he had operations on his bowels and stomach. A doctorís note dated June 15th 1918 says at some time he had had an operation for a gastric ulcer. My mother said he had suffered from lead poisoning that was a complaint of the time, as he would have used a lot of lead pipe in the plumbing trade.

At some time he met Lillian Henrietta Jinkinson - from his notebooks we know that they were courting in 1901 as he has several entries about seeing L.J. They eventually married on 29th October 1902 at St. Augustineís Church, Endcliffe. For this I have the original wedding certificate. I also have a large marble clock, which was presented to them by the workmen at Joseph Mastin & Son. It has an inscribed brass plaque reading:

"Presented to Frank E. Mastin
On the occasion of his marriage
Oct. 29th 1902
By the workmen as a mark of respect"
The marble of the clock has been repaired not replaced after a fall from the mantle piece. The clock does not go at this time, but I hope to have it repaired in the near future.

I assume their first home was at 161, Hanover Street, Eccelsall as their first child was born at that address. Jessie Alice was born on the 5th September 1903 (J.B.'s mother) Then at sometime in the next few years they moved to 78, Ranby Road, Endcliffe, where Frank (Patrick's father) was born on the 2nd January 1909, followed on 22nd February 1912 by Edith. Kevin (Lawrence's's father, usually called Ken) was born in Leeds on the 9th October 1926. I have Jessieís birth certificate, I believe Patrick has his fatherís, and Ken's wife Zaira Rosa has his. I do not know about Edith.


Frank Ernest Mastin of Sheffield
Frank Ernest Mastin of Sheffield

After leaving the business in 1909, his health deteriorated and he had spells in hospital. It would seem that he never worked again after this date. They moved house several times before coming to Darley Dale sometime around 1940. In 1915 they were living at Offerton Hall at Hathersage. In 1917 at Barnfield Cottages, Hathersage (these dates are proved by various documents I have with a date and address). They must have lived in Leeds in 1926 when Ken was born. After this date they moved to Waltham, Lincs. Then to the bungalow at Brigsley, near Grimsby, the one of which the poem was written. They stayed there until 1939 when they moved to The Tower at Chatsworth House to stay with J.B.'s mother, Jessie (this from Ken as he went to school in Baslow for a while, a long walk). I donít know why they left Brigsley with no other accommodation arranged, but they soon moved to Northwood Lane, Darley Dale. He finished his life at that address.

Note (J.B.)
Frank had a sister, Eliza, living in Cleethorpes at least in the 1930ís. Also Arthurís son, Stewart, at some time lived at Waltham. All I know is my mother had a short address and telephone number, which are now no use when I started research because of age.

Frank served in some sort of volunteer Army between 1898/9 and 1901/2 as I have the draft of a letter asking him to finish his three years service. This was in the 1st West Yorks. Royal Engineers. His number was 3847, and his rifle number was 508. He also enlisted in the 41st West Riding Royal Engineers on the 31st May 1915 for general service in the First World War (his number was 2612). Soon after, however, in September of the same year, he was recommended for discharge for unknown medical reasons, and after various tests and hospital stays, was in fact discharged in February 1916. In 1919, he was receiving an army pension (the one I have is dated 10th April 1919). When he first received the pension and for how long I do not know.

They lived in the bungalow at Northwood Lane until he died.They did not go out much as the house is on the top of a hill and there was no bus service and they did not have a car. He did a lot of paintings and pen and ink drawings on parchment mainly of boats and parrots, and also cards for birthdays and Christmas, of which J.B. has several within the family. Many of the ships are done at Grimsby - I donít know if he went there to paint or if he did them from other pictures or memory.

He died on the 2nd March 1950, and is buried in Edensor churchyard.

Back to List of Biographies